Sunday 5 September 2010

Waiting on God

This is what my Streams in the Desert devotional by Mrs CE Cowman says today about waiting on God...

"Blessed are all they that wait for him. Isaiah 30:18

We hear a great deal about waiting on God. There is, however, another side. When we wait on God, He is waiting till we are ready; when we wait for God, we are waiting till He is ready.

There are some people who say, and many more that believe, that until we meet all of the conditions, God will answer our prayers. They say that God lives in an eternal now; with him there is no past nor future; and that if we could fulfill all that He requires in the way of obedience to His will, immediately our needs will be supplied, our desires fulfilled, our prayers answered.

There is much truth in this belief, and yet it expresses only one side of the truth.While God lives in the eternal now, yet He works out His purpose in time. A petition presented before God is like a seed dropped into the ground. Forces above and beyond our control must work upon it, till the true fruition of the answer is given."

1 comment:

  1. It shall come to pass That before they call, I will answer; And while they are still speaking, I will hear. Isaiah 65:24
    The Lord is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. He is all powerful, all knowing and present everywhere. One of my favourite names for God is that He is The Great I AM. He is the God of the now. When I have not coped with my situation at times I have focused on Him as The Great I AM and as I take a moment even a few minutes at a time (and a good sleep)I find myself resting in His love, mercy and peace. I love the difference between waiting on God and waiting for God. When a door shuts and He opens a window I always find the view (or the outlook) has been better than I could have imagined. He knows us beeter than we know ourselves and He sees the end from the beginning. His ways and thoughts are not our ways and thoughts and we can trust Him with the right answers because His Word says we can trust Him. We only need to believe and obey.
    The following quote is attributed to Albert Einstein: 'Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.'
    One thousand years is as one day to the Lord and our lives are but a vapour...and patience is a fruit of the Spirit. To sum up I leave you with my last thought...for now...while God and I are waiting for each other I am expectant for all He has for me and to the best fo my ability I will believe and be obedient to prepare for that time when I can give all that I am back to Him...by the mercies of God we present ourselves as living sacrifices...Romans 12:1

    ReplyDelete