Tuesday 26 January 2010

Beloved Light

The reason I titled my blog "Beloved Light" is because it is the meaning of my name Amy Helen. It makes me think of my Lord who is "my light and my salvation". The meanings of names and why people are named certain names has always been a topic that interests me. My little boy Conrad Anthony Isaac was named after a great great grandfather from Alistair's side and also after my father (Isaac was a biblical name that I felt should be in there too). It means "wise advisor" and "highly praiseworthy" which I think put together means integrity! How I hope that my little boy will one day be a man of integrity!

My own name is after Amy Carmichael, who was from Ireland but went as a missionary to India and saved hundreds of girls from the evils of temple prostitution (many parents sold their daughters to the temple as babies as they couldn't afford to marry them off later on down the track). And my middle name Helen was after my great-grandmother (she died before I was born) who was the person who led my mother to the Lord. I remember some elderly relatives telling me that my great grandmother Helen was one of the most loving women they had ever known- they said that you just walked into her house and felt the warmth and love! How blessed I am to have such a godly heritage to live up to. I recently copied a poem into my journal by Amy Carmichael- here is the final verse:
Give me the love that leads the way,
The faith that nothing can dismay,
The hope no disappointments tire,
The passion that will burn like fire;
Let me not sink to be a clod:
Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God.

The name I love most of all though is the name of Jesus! And I am who I am because of Him. I have an identity and purpose thanks to Jesus adopting me into His family! I am thinking of songs about his name- can only think of four off the top of my head!

"Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,
there's just something about that name,
Master, Saviour, Jesus,
like the fragrance after the rain"

"Jesus, what a beautiful name
Truth revealed, my future sealed
Healed my pain
Love and freedom, life and warmth
Grace that blows all fear away
Jesus, what a beautiful name"
(Darlene Zschech)

"No other name, no one the same
Who can be found to compare with you
Mighty and great are the works you do
You're my God, You're my Lord
You've redeemed me by the power of blood
And I love you Jesus Christ my King"

"There's no other name but this name,
And no other name will do.
There's no other name but Jesus
For folk like me and you
For no other name brings pardon
And sets everybody free
There's no other name but Jesus
For you and me"
(John Gowans)

It truly is the most beautiful name- Jesus. And the thing that amazes me the most is that he knows my name! A song we sung at church on Sunday said "He knows my name, He knows my every thought, He sees each tear that falls and hears me when I call". I think there is nothing more humbling to know than the fact that the Creator of the universe is interested in me. His thoughts of me are greater than the grains of sand on the earth as it says in Psalm 139:17-18! How I long for everyone to know how much He loves them too!



1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful words Amy.
    You ARE privileged to have such a wonderful heritage.

    ReplyDelete