Thursday 4 February 2010

Back to basics

I think from time to time it is important to get back to basics and reassess priorities: what am I spending my time on and what should I be spending my time on? I find myself in this place at the moment. I think it is always one of the times God chooses to prune us back (He is the Vine and we are the branches-John 15) and make us realise the ways we have fallen short of what He wants for us. He gently points out the areas that aren't of Him or the things I have taken into my own hands when He should have control. This is always a painful process having the ugly parts removed, but it is all for a good cause as it means it will be replaced by the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control). I always find these times hard and frustrating to a certain extent, but at the same time it is so precious listening to that still, sweet voice calling me back to Himself.
Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me,
for I am gentle and lowly in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light
Matthew 11:28-30

A song I currently have in my head says this:
Hide me now
Under your wings
Cover me
within your mighty hand

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God

Find rest my soul
In Christ alone
Know his power
In quietness and trust
(Reuben Morgan)

I think being hidden in Christ is the most beautiful place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment